I'm leaving the old intro here, but adding this- it appears the doves have taken over my blog for their fiction. Just as well, I was doing a piss poor job of updating. They're doing much better.

This blog is infrequently updated, full of incorrect spellings, misused words, and general bad grammar. It started when I was trying to use google+ (which I've since given up on) and discovered there was no character limit for posts. If you've known me a long time, a lot of these stories will be old hat. If you plan to know me for a long time, you'll no doubt hear many of them in person. But, folks seemed to enjoy them, so here they are.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

the ninth story

Today's story:
Back when I was at Oberlin, I went camping on a tiny island in Lake Erie with my friend David. It was post season, so most things were closed, but we made reservations at a little campground. We took a ferry out there, went for a hike, and set up our tent right near the shore- everything was lovely. There was a terrible storm overnight, and I do remember it, but I don't remember being terribly upset by it. When we woke up in the morning, the wind was still blowing fiercely, and the shore was not where we left it. I grew up on the beach in Florida and was very used to tides- somewhere in the back of my mind, something filed "low tide, 9am" without thinking "wait, this is a lake". We made some breakfast, and drove over to the ferry terminal to get home. The ferry wasn't running, because the storm had blown all the water to the other side of the lake. This was not something I was expecting. The storm had also blown out all the communication, and I was supposed to be at work at 10am the next day. We found the only convience store on the island still open, and asked them about the ferry. They said there was another at the other end of the island, at catamaran, that could run in less water, but didn't expect it to be running. Someone had a two way radio, and phoned them up- sure enough, closed for the day. We did not want to set camp back up in that weather- in fact, we were already covered in a thick layer of mud, were freezing, and both really wanted hot showers more than anything. The guys in the shop thought that the proprietors for one bed and breakfast might still be on the island, so they gave us their address and we set off on our quest. We arrived, and sure enough- they were there. They were packed up and ready to go, but had been foiled by the same ferry that had messed up our plans. They took one look at our bedraggled selves, and said that sure, they were still open. Further, when I asked how much it was (it was a nice place, and I doubted I could afford their rate) they said they'd give us the stranded traveler rate, and let us stay for whatever the campground cost, which was so generous it almost made me cry. Then, they made us dinner, and claimed it was included in the room.
We caught the catamaran ferry the next day. At that point, there was no time to go by Oberlin before my shift, so I arrived in my still muddy clothes, hiking boots, and generally not looking my best. When I walked in the door, the district manager, whom I'd never gotten along with, was standing there. He gave me one look, and said that whatever my excuse was, he believed it, and that I could miss this shift with no repercussions.
It really was a good trip. We made friends, we had fun, and we got a good story out of it. Also, I didn't lose my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment